The information we collect:
CAP collects and uses personal information from donors that includes: amount donated, address, telephone number, donor comments and email address. Tax laws in the United States and the State of Oregon require CAP to keep contact information and contribution level of donors on file.
How we use that information:
CAP will never publish, sell, trade, rent or share names (unless released for publication), email or mail addresses, or telephone numbers of our donors. CAP will use contact information (email, telephone number and address) of donors for these purposes only:
- Distribute receipts for donations
- Thank donors for their donation
- Inform donors about upcoming fundraising and other activities of CAP
- Internal analysis and record keeping
- Reporting to relevant U.S. and State agencies (these reports are not for public inspection)
- Contact donors about changes to this policy
However, properly anonymized donor information is used for promotional and fundraising activities. We allow donors the option to have their name publicly associated with their donation unless the donor explicitly chooses “anonymous” when donating. Comments given in donor forms are published in public lists and may be used in promotional materials while comments sent to us via email, fax or telephone are kept confidential.
All access to donor financial information is limited to professional staff and our business associates who need to process those data. No such data are given to any person, organization or group who does not need to access those data.
CAP only uses online payment processing services with world class security and strong reputations. CAP does not store, nor does it have access to, your credit card information, bank account numbers, or other account data sent to those processing services.
Donations to CAP go to a locked location until processed. All information is maintained securely and kept confidential and is shredded after need for information under auditing standards has passed.
Cascade AIDS Project
c/o Development Office
208 SW 5th Ave., Suite 800
Portland, OR 97204
Donations may be sent to the same address.
Donor Bill of Rights:
CAP subscribes to the Donor Bill of Rights.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE).